Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tiger Dad + Kitten Mom = Flexible Cat Kids?

Surviving - and thriving - in Chinese schools

I knew my 5-year-old twins would start speaking Chinese if we threw them into a Chinese school. But still somehow I’ve been surprised to see it happen. Being a worrying, coddling mother I wondered what traumas they might suffer along the way.  Their father, more of a “stop crying and just do it” sort, wanted them to be happy but knew they’d survive.

And they did complain at the kindergarten (more equivalent to a US preschool) in Beijing where we first enrolled them. They complained that the teachers yelled, and they couldn’t tell me what they were doing all 8 or 9 hours they were at the school everyday.  Still, their Chinese progressed and instead of complaining that they couldn't understand the teachers or talk to their friends, they started coming home telling me about conversations they had in Chinese.

Example of a Chinese textbook for 5 year olds
Still we were concerned they were just playing all day and knew that at nearly 6 years old, they were up to more challenge than that, in any language. Finally through chance, we learned of another school with smaller classes, a more educational focus, and better yet – more than half the price! On the last day at the old school, Isaac told his teacher in Chinese he was “going to university” (which translates literally to “big school” in Chinese).

And then, my boys who previously had to be coaxed and coerced and bribed (Isaac more than his twin Ethan) to do homework at night, suddenly last weekend, just two days after starting the new school, couldn’t stop doing it. They just wanted to write characters all night, while their dinner went cold. And then, at school the next day, Isaac raised his hand to answer a question and boldly went to the front of the class to answer. Shyer Ethan soon followed suit.

Suddenly, for now, I feel better about the prospect of throwing them in competitive primary school.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so happy they are adjusting well in China. It must be such a change for you. Our kids surprise us with what they can endure and prosper from. Kudos Twins! :)

Bleary Eye said...

This new school is a real answer to prayer. And your blog is great too! Now for some pics of the kids doing school work. :)

Ana in Ecuador said...

The one thing I regret about my time in Mexico is that my parents didn't put us in Mexican school. Even though the academics weren't great in our area we would have learned Spanish. I know I would have hated it at first, but I think having more than one native language is invaluable. (Especially Chinese and English! They'll be able to talk with most of the world's population!)